Ludwigshafen University of Business and Society as it is today, with its focus on business administration, social sciences and health care, is a happy merger of formerly two separate universities of applied sciences: Ludwigshafen University of Business and Ludwigshafen Protestant University.
Ludwigshafen Protestant University was founded in 1948 as a Protestant school for social- and church-services. In 1964 it was transformed to seminar for social professions and in 1971 to university of applied sciences. In 2007 the Protestant church stopped being holder.
Ludwigshafen University of Business was founded in 1965 as a state-run higher vocational school of business, which later became a department of Rhineland-Palatinate University of Applied Sciences in 1971. Both the department of Ludwigshafen and the department of Worms formed an institutional unit from 1976 until 1991. In 1996 Ludwigshafen University of Business became independent.
Both former universities of applied sciences in Ludwigshafen merged on 1st March 2008 to form the new University Ludwigshafen on the Rhine, with its focus on business administration, social sciences and health care. The Protestant church promised to fund € 100,000 for research and teaching on ethical matters until 2018.
At the time of merging, Ludwigshafen Protestant University counted about 700 students, Ludwigshafen University of Business about 2,700 students.
In 2012 the merged university of applied sciences was officially nominated University Ludwigshafen on the Rhine.
Since 2019 the official name is Ludwigshafen University of Business and Society, which expresses its academic focus – today and in the future – according to the plan of strategic development.