Direkt zum Inhalt springen

Health insurance

All students in Germany are required to have a health insurance policy. You will not be enrolled at the university without providing proof of your health insurance coverage. Please check before your departure to Germany which services are included in your health insurance or look for an additional insurance. Travel insurances are not acceptable for university enrollment!


If you are an EU citizen, you probably have the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). By presenting this card, you will be exempted from the necessary German health insurance coverage. Please bring your valid card to enrollment.


There are two options:

  • You can take out a public German health insurance policy at the International Office at the time of enrollment. This will cost you around 105 EUR per month. The health insurance coverage begins on the day of enrollment.


  • Issue a private health insurance in your home country (not a travel insurance!). Your private Health Insurance Company has to cover for the whole duration of your stay (studies) in Germany with a sum of minimum 50.000 (fifty thousand) EUR. They also cover:
  • treatment by a doctor, medical treatment (ärztliche Behandlung)
  • Treatment by dentist, dental treatment (zahnärztliche Behandlung)
  • Treatment in a hospital, hospital treatment (Krankenhausbehandlung)
  • Medicine and bandages, dressings(Arznei und Verbandsmittel)

If you issue a private health insurance in your home country, you will have to fill out the following form  and let it sign by your health insurance company as well.

If your private health insurance company doesn´t sign this criteria,  you HAVE to take a German one.

Please ask your insurance company to issue an insurance policy in German or English and bring your private health insurance policy and the signed form when you come to our university to enroll.
In general, please note that if you are privately insured, you always have to pay the medical bills in advance and then wait for the reimbursement of your insurance company. Please be aware that hospitalization can be extremely expensive!

If you are from Turkey, you can bring an A/T-11 form (TÜRK-ALMAN SOSYAL GÜVENLIK SÖZLESMESI) for health insurance.

If you are from Tunesia, you can bring an A/TN-11 form for health insurance.

If you are from Bosnia Herzegovina, you can bring a BH 6 form for health insurance.

In general, your health insurance coverage must be valid for the following periods:

Winter semester:    1 September to 28/29 February
Summer semester: 1 March to 31 August