Direkt zum Inhalt springen

Health insurance

All students in Germany are required to have a health insurance policy. You will not be enrolled at the university without providing proof of your health insurance coverage. Please check before your departure to Germany which services are included in your health insurance or look for an additional insurance. Travel insurances are not acceptable for university enrollment!


If you are an EU citizen, you probably have the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). By presenting this card, you will be exempted from the necessary German health insurance coverage.


There are two options:

  • You take out a public German health insurancepolicy, for example through TK or AOK. It costs around 125 EUR per month.


  • Issue a private health insurance in your home country (not a travel insurance!). Please note that your insurance must certify you unlimited health coverage for your whole stay in Germany.

If you issue a private health insurance in your home country, you will have to fill out the following form  and let it sign by your health insurance company as well. In that case your private health insurance contract will need to be checked by a German statutory health insurance company if it fulfills the minimum requirements.

If your private health insurance company doesn´t sign this criteria,  you HAVE to take a German one.

Please ask your insurance company to issue an insurance policy in German or English - it will be needed together with the signed form for university enrollment.

In general, please note that if you are privately insured, you always have to pay the medical bills in advance and then wait for the reimbursement of your insurance company. Please be aware that hospitalization can be extremely expensive!

If you are from Turkey, you can bring an A/T-11 form (TÜRK-ALMAN SOSYAL GÜVENLIK SÖZLESMESI) for health insurance.

If you are from Tunesia, you can bring an A/TN-11 form for health insurance.

If you are from Bosnia Herzegovina, you can bring a BH 6 form for health insurance.