Direkt zum Inhalt springen

Frequently Asked Questions

What courses do you offer?


You can check the courses offered in English under the following links:

Lectures in German: If you are interested in taking lectures in German, visit the “Hochschul-Portal”.

Do you offer German language courses and if so, how many ECTS can I receive for the German language course?

Yes, we do offer German languages courses every semester for our exchange students on different levels (A1 - C1) and free of charge. 6 ECTS are awarded for a course of 4 lessons per week.

How can I print out my Confirmation of Enrollment?

If you need to certify your current enrollment at the University of Ludwigshafen for study or job purposes, follow the following steps.

What kind of weather should I expect in the winter/summer semester?

Ludwigshafen has a very mild and dry climate. The annual average temperature is 11.2 °C, the summer is quite hot (July and August) and the winter is cold (and sometimes snowy in December and January). If you come for the summer semester, you will surely need warm clothes for the beginning of spring and later on, summer clothes for the end of the semester. If you come for the winter semester, you will need autumn clothes for the beginning of the semester and then warm winter clothes for the winter period.

What is provided in the living/kitchen area of the students’ flats/dormitory rooms?

The dormitories and the students’ flats are fully furnished (bed, desk, wardrobe etc.) and technically equipped (fridge, stove, microwave). For your bedroom, though, you have to supply bed linens, blankets, pillows, towels. For the kitchen you have to supply dishes, pans etc. and any additional device that you would like to use.

What does the rent include?

The rent for your flat/dormitory room includes the monthly payment for your flat as well as the costs for water/electricity and heating.

Is my deposit part of the rent? When will the deposit be refunded?

The deposit needs to be paid before your moving in (along with the service fee). After your mobility, the deposit will be refunded if no damages have occurred during your stay at the flat/dormitory (this will be checked when you are moving out; also, when moving in, you will receive a list of what you should take care of, in order to get your deposit back later).

When and how will I have access to the Internet?

If you live in a students’ flat, you will be able to connect to the Internet immediately by signing in your devices with the password (which is located on the router). If you live at the dormitories, you may need to consult the responsible people for your floor/the dormitory.

What type of transport can I use in the city? How much does it cost?

A detailed explanation about the public transport in Ludwigshafen and the access to the university from different locations is available here.

Where is the university located in relation to the city center?

The university is situated close to the city center (approximately 15 minutes by bus), you can easily reach the “Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft Ludwigshafen” by public transport ( busses RNV 75 / RNV 76 from Berliner Platz or bus RNV 76 from Rhein Galerie);

How can I send post mail?

You can easily send a letter or a parcel by going to the closest post office. Next to the town hall (Rathaus) there is a big department of Deutsche Post, the staff there is kind and has a good command of English, so they can help you with any questions.

How can I receive post mail?

If your family wants to send you a letter or a parcel, you should inform them about your exact address (postcode, street, building, entrance, number) and you have to put your name on your mailbox and doorbell. If you are at home, the courier will ring your bell so you can receive the delivery personally. If you are not at home, they will leave a note in your mailbox for you to collect your delivery form the nearest office or wherever they left it (sometimes with neighbors).

I have problems with my internet access in the university-building

If you have issues with your connection in the university (e.g. you connectivity is poor or you cannot sign in), please go to one of the IT offices, which are located in the university -  Building A, room 309 and Building E, Room E1062. They will assist you in resolving the matter.

How to get to Ludwigshafen  

Ludwigshafen am Rhein is easily accessible from various airports/train stations. If you arrive in Frankfurt am Main International Airport, you can take a train from Frankfurt Airport to Mannheim or Ludwigshafen. The train station is directly located in Terminal 1 at the airport. You can buy tickets directly at the airport/train station or online.

If you arrive in Frankfurt Hahn Airport, there is a bus going from Hahn to Mannheim ZOB.

How do I charge my student card?

You can use your student card for paying at the cafeteria/Mensa and also for printing at the university. In order to do this, you need to charge it – there are two devices on campus at the entrance of the B-building (on the left-hand side, just before entering Mensa). First you put in your student card, then you insert the desired amount of money and the amount is automatically transferred to the card. If you have any issues – ask the staff at the cafeteria and/or at the information desk in the A-building.

Where can I print / scan at the university?

On campus, you can print/scan at AStA (located in the basement of the A-building) and also in the library. You can either pay cash or with your student card.

I want to extend my stay. What should I do?

In case you would like to prolong your mobility at the University of Luwigshafen, you need to contact your sending institution (your home university) first. If they agree, your home university needs to send a new nomination e-mail to the attention of the International Office at Hochschule Ludwigshafen.